28 oct. 2014

Fermented foods corner - Sauerkraut

Sauerkraut

It's so very handy to have sauerkraut in small jars, to keep short-term in the fridge (from mine it disappears very fast).

Ingredients:

* 1 white cabbage

* 1 beetroot

* 1 bay leaf

* fresh dill (or dill seeds)

* Himalaya salt

I grated the cabbage and kept it in a big bowl, sprinkled with about 1 tablespoon of salt.





I left it to sit for 15-20 minutes, to leave some juice, then I squeezed it some more by hand to soften it. The better it is squeezed, the faster it ferments.





Meanwhile, I put the bay leaf, the sliced beetroot and the fresh dill on the bottom of the jar.






I put the cabbage in the jar...





And I filled up the jar with bottled water (the water should be bottled and not from tap, to be drinkable, as it's a wonderful liquid filled with vitamins, minerals and enzymes)...





I placed a lid on the jar and I set it aside, in the special corner with my fermented foods (and drinks).






Probably in about 3 days I'll get the first test of this batch!

The same jar, next day:




Same jar, after one more day:






A delicious meal without something pickled it's like Snow-White without the 7 dwarfs!



Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu